The object of my invention is to provide a Sealing means for the-joint between ,the Chest. 5 out of 5 stars (166) 166 reviews $ 21.99 FREE shipping Favorite Add to Vintage Mid Century Modern Cedar Chest, Lane Altavista VA Trunk, Cedar Trunk, Blanket Chest GreatLiving1980. The outside condition would be considered poor, but the inside is in very good condition and still smells very good. During the 1900’s there were two main competing companies that were producing cedar chests. Veneer replacement. A chest built on April 1, 1940, would read from left to right 04140. Looking for quality home furniture and recliners? 2. 12. I perfected a double, interlocked, sealed, mitered corner which would not pull a art, which was always tight and prevented leakage of any aroma from the corners.- I arranged for a special flexible, sealing compound inserted in each joint so that even with rough treatment or contraction and expansion the joints would not only remain secfire, but would remain completely aroma ti t. I use a spring lock (the subject matter of another application) which holds the top of the chest tight when closed, said lock producing an audible click when closed, thereby notifying the user of the chest that the top was tight and the seal complete. It was also found by experiment that cedar aroma, that is cedal oil molecules in suspension in air, is approximately seven times as heavy as air. I have a Lane cedar chest that belonged to my mother. LANE Altavista, VA. What is the valus of this chest As illustrated in Figure 4 the joint between the adj acentends of the vertical walls of the chest is jogged so as to make it tortuous and irregular in shape and retards the leakage of aroma therethrough, and in orderw to com-' pletely seal this joint I have developed a plastic, resilient sealing .medium 18 which is packed in the joint, said sealing medium being proof against the leakage of oil of cedar and the aroma therethrough. Hello I have a Lane cedar Chest from the 30's however I am not able to get ... WHAT IS THE VALUE OF A LANE CEDAR CHEST STYLE 2133 SERIAL NUMBER 642211 Lane cedar hope chest Lane Cedar Chest Style No. Lane cedar chest serial numbers are either stamped or applied to the bottom of the chest. The reference numeral 3 designates a container of any approved shape and construction to which a door or cover 4 is secured by means of the hinges y5. Figure 2 is a large detail'sectional view throughthe chest at the hinge. The serial number is decoded by reading it backwards to form 061141; the first two numbers represent the month, the middle numbers denote the day and the last two digits show the year. The Cedar Chest division of the Lane Company closed down in 2001 after making cedar chests for 89 years. A cedar chest comprising a body formed of walls of cedar oil bearing material, said walls having tortuous joints between their op osed faces at the corners thereof, a plastic lling in said joints and sealing the same against the escape of cedar oil aroma, sealing means secured to the outer surfaces of said walls and sealing the same against the escape of cedar oil aroma, a closure for the body,.and sealing means for closing the oint against the escape ofcedar oil aroma when the closure is closed, said sealing means on the body and closure being proof against the action of cedar oil. Complete Patent Searching Database and Patent Data Analytics Services. Hope you got it. One antique-lovers' site suggests that the exact date on a Lane chest can always be determined by reversing the three pairs of numbers that comprise the 6-digit serial number. Chest manufactured before 1987 that contains a lock that lacks a special safety feature. Restoration service included:. Figure. You can read the serial number BACKWARDS to determine the production date. Two numbers are marked #481073 (I think) and the serial number is #735260. From shop ChristophCreations. $16.20. continuing patent numbers - 2386440-2345271-2355542. 9440 x Serial no. 2 Matching Lane Vintage 1940's Mahogany Chippendale Ball & Claw Cedar Chests $1,200.00 1940s CAVALIER Art Deco Waterfall Cedar Blanket Chest Safe ComboKey Lock Removed or Best Offer. Complete Patent Searching Database and Patent Data Analytics Services. This means a chest generally has a five- or six-digit … Was: $18.00. Essential info for starting & operating, educational books & meetings, consumer shopping guide & info. Instead, they incorporated the little company as the Standard Red Cedar Chest Company, with John Lane as President and Ed Lane as Vice President and General Manager. In testimony whereof I aflix my signature. $350.00. I have a Lane cedar chest that belonged to my mother. We have a lane cedar chest standed on the bottom is 646260 style 2138 also inside are patent numbers 1756746, 1890999, 1987018, 2023465, 2058571, 2136141, 2161519, 2188707. Top Answer. A clothes holding receptacle adapted to prevent moth depredations comprising a body having its walls provided with cedar oil hearing material, an external sheathing to prevent escape of cedar aroma therethrough from said material, said walls having joints extending on irregular lines and provided with packing means therein insoluble in cedar oil, a closure for the receptacle, and a sealing strip secured at one edge to the closure and having a free edge portion arranged at an angle greater than a right -angle at its secured edge for contact with the body, said free edge portion having an amplitude of flexibility sufiiciently great to compensate for any normal spacing variations between the body and closure in the closed position of the closure due to warping of the latter. Later, Lane added a 7th digit. Vintage Antiques For Sale. Mid Century LANE Cedar Hope Chest Beautiful Finish Exc Condition With lock. Export Citation: Click for automatic bibliography generation . A. cedar chest comprising a body, a clo- 1 sure for the body, a gaslret secured to the underside of the closure and adapted to partially rest upon the edges of the body when the closure is in closed condition, a lock for holding the closure in'closed condition, a resilient sealing strip secured at one edge to the closure and having a free edge bent at an angle thereto for engagement with the marginal ed 'es of the body beyond the gasket to seal t e joint at this point, and plastic sealing means closing the joint between the sealing strip and the surface of the closure to which said strip is secured. We just reached a cell phone in under my grandmother’s Lane cedar chest in storage to get the serial and style numbers – serial #927280 and the style number looks like 44811, but the video we took is a little hard to see it in. And, while it will escape more rapidly from a hole at the bottom of the chest, as the density is greater at the bottom, this pressure created as heretofore explained, will cause it at certain stages to escape regardless of the location of the leak. A clothes holding receptacle adapted to prevent moth dep'redations comprising a body having its walls provided with cedar oil bearing material, an external sheathing to prevent escape of cedar aroma therethrough from said material, said walls having joints extending on irregular lines and provided with pa king means therein insoluble. ... Cedar chest . There are no numbers on the bottom of my lane cedar chest there are a list of patent numbers in the inside lid is there - Answered by a verified Antique Expert. Marble Three Drawer Bachelors Chest Art Deco Table Stand Tableau Bakelite 9 photo Antique Sturdi Cedar Chest By Francis F. Hamilton - Margeret No. 6. A receptacle of the character described comprising a body member having comparaat one edge to the under face of said closure along its edges, and a pliable sealing mass not soluble in cedar oil between said strips and closure and at the junctureof the strips at the corners of the closure. ladders . 1-16 of 108 results for "lane cedar chests" Skip to main search results Eligible for Free Shipping. NARTS: The Association of Resale Professionals is the BEST resource for resale stores and those considering opening a store. v. The top face or edge of the verticalwalls of the chest body are fashioned to a perfect plane. drop-leaf bar cart . Antique collectors look for the age and style when determining the value of a Lane cedar chest. Thus the veneer forms an eflicient stop for aroma. All Lane cedar chests have a serial number. 17. The problem, therefore, was to first obtain a suflicient amount'of cedar oil aroma, next to imprison this aroma in the receptacle so that the article would remain in an atmosphere of cedar aroma of suflicient density the required length of time to destroy the moths and, second, to so imprison and maintain the basic supply of cedar oil vthat the required density of aroma-would be supplied over a long period of years to make the receptacle continuously effective. Leakage or escape of the aroma from the chest is also caused by the variation in temperature in the room outside as compared to the air within the chest. Sometimes in informal settings, such as yard sales, authentic antique Lane products are sold for extremely low prices --as low as $20 in some cases-- because the previous owner was unaware of their historical value and significance. Around the inside of the top of the chest and' around the hinges I attached a resilient metal strip, impervious to cedar oil, which, operating on the principle'of a spring com- 'pletely and absolutely seals the top of the chest when in closed position, said strip broadly being claimed in another application. My Lane cedar chest is serial number 242260, Style #481942. We have the best deals on Lane Cedar Chest so stop by and check us out first! 2765190 A cedar chest comprising a body portion and a closure, hin es connecting said body and closure, one lea of each hinge being counter sunk in and flush with the underface of the closure, the other leaf of each hinge being secured to the outer face of the back Wall of said body, resilient metal sealing strips secured at one edge to the-underface of the closure along its four edges, one of which strips overlies the counter sunk hinge leaf, the free edges of said strips being arranged to engage the edges of the body and to close the joints between the body and closure, connections coupling and sealing the joints between the ends of the strips, a lock latch secured to the underface of the closure, a lock secured to the body, and a sealing medium secured to the underface of the closure desi ed to seal the joint between the latch and ock. Export Citation: Click for automatic bibliography generation . ... Cedar chest . Lane Cedar Chest Three Brothers Furniture Philadelphia PA Wood Trinket Box Jewelry Trunk Vintage ApexAnnex. glassware . Some chests may also have an extra digit which denotes the plant location. Cedar chests work amazingly well in the living room, too. In securing the sealing strip 7 to the top of the chest I form a groove (see Figure. Serial number 14 3101 Has been in family entire time since purchased new. sealing means, Cold boiling liquid storage tank relief valve, Storage chest with integral handle in reinforced lid, Airtight container to release pressure for container spout, Plastic suitcase sections having embedded-hinge and meeting-edge gasket, Edge dovetail insulated wall construction, Package unit for sectional frame and door construction. Asked by Wiki User. Answer. Inventors: Hogan, John R. ... 04/27/1928 . antique lane cedar chest serial number 2965111; lane cedar chest serial number 243040; Lanes cedar chest serial number 636280; lane cedar chest serial lookup; lane furniture serial number lookup; Lane Cedar Chest serial#249111; lane ceda chest serial no 2085150; do all lane cedar chests have serial numbers; lane cerise chest serial number 101927; lane cedar chest serial number 109127; Lane cedar chest … By preventing" this leakageand putting enough oil in the chest enough concentration can be obtained to kill moth larvae of any age, obviously obviating the necessity of having clothes cleaned to get them free of moth eggs and larvae, or beaten, or brushed, or sunned, all of which methods have been recommended by various authorities to free fabrics of mothinfestation. Assignee: LANE COMPANY INC . The problem which I desired to work out was to destroy the moth larvae present in such articles, or hatching from eggs, that might have been deposited on them when From experiments, conducted over quite a the they were stored away, as it has been difiicult and expensive and, in fact, impractical, to so clean every article stored as to insure the non-existence of moth larvae or moth eggs when the article was stored away. Someone repainted over the original finish with black and painted a silver fleur de lis design on top. 16 and theends of the strips 7 is substantially wedge shape thereby drawing the ends of the strips snugly together. 16. This is a great option if you have a lot of things (think toys and books) to … Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Refinishing. A cedar chest comprising a body portion and a closure hinged thereto, a resilient metal sealing strip secured at one edge to the underface of said closure at its four edges, the adjacent ends of said stri s termina'ting in return bends, and ca 5 bent edges embracing and interloc ing with the return bends on the said strips and sealmg the joints between the adjacent ends of the said. 27. will protect the fabrics stored t-herein from the ravages of moths, at the same time it is equally true that unless the top joints, that is, the joints between the chest and the top are sufliciently Sealed a large amount of the aroma that is given off from the cedar wood will be lost, consequently manufacturers are lcareful to secure an aroma tight joint at this point in such containers, but owing to warping and uneven top surfaces of the chest or container and careless closing of these chests. Lane usually inscribes a 5 digit serial number that … The brand name "Lane" or "Virginia Maid" is located inside the cedar chest. 10. Consequently it is more dense at the bottom of the receptacle and, of course, when the receptacle is closed the giving off of the cedar oil molecules creates in the receptacle a vapor or gaseous pressure which, although slight as pressures are ordinarily measured, is quite sufficient to cause the cedar aroma to escape from the receptacle through any hole, crevice "or crack. This chest housed all the essentials a woman would need to outfit her future home as a newlywed. All of these various features and ideas are hereinaftermore particularly described in detail. 7. 4. Most of the veneer on the rounded base was either missing or peeling. Lane cedar chest . Lane Cedar Chest have serial numbers that are read backwards to determine the date when it was produce. watches . V, I perfected a grooved bottom which is at the point of great density and, therefore, the. It doubles as the manufacturing date the chest was made when you read the number from right to left or backward. This number is found on the outside bottom of the chest. in cedar oil, a closure for the receptacle, angularlyrelated resilient metal sealing strips along the contact margins of the closure adapted for engagement with the edges of the walls of the body, and means connecting and sealing the joints between the edges of said stri s. 8. Theretore while our metal strip is made to compensate for a of an inch warpage, it is still impractical to form it so that it will compensate for a much greater warpage, and in order to eliminate liability of more than maximum warpage, and make the top 2 at least a 5-ply top and this 5-ply top, if properly manufactured, will not underany ordinary conditions of service warpor twist over of an inch, and the offset on the metal strip 7 will allow sufficient movement of the strip to compensate for this. I have a 1953 Lane cedar chest with the original tags and patent pending on it . 387,688. 3) which is filled with a resilient and plastic sealingcompound substantially proof against cedar oil, in the inner face of the top into which the flange, 8 is driven. but also preserved theoutside' finish and prevented it from being dissolved by the cedar oil and from getting gummy and discolored from the presence of the cedar oil. 1928-04-27 Application filed by Lane Co Inc filed Critical Lane Co Inc 1928-04-27 Priority to US273296A priority Critical patent/US1756746A ... -ASSIGNOB TO THE LANE COMPANY, INC., A CORPORATION OF VIRGINIA CEDAR CHEST Application filed April. This means a chest generally has a five- or six-digit number that tells the month, day and two-digit year it was built. It doubles as the manufacturing date the chest was made when you read the number from right to left or backward. We guarantee that your guests will be impressed at first sight. Hello, I have a cedar chest made by Cache collection by Lane also says Sweetheart chest on Certificate and according to the date on the bottom of the chest it was made on June 25, 1912 it is in excellent condition and was wondering if someone could help me with a rough estimate of the value of it. The old type of cedar chest which was not aroma tight according to United States Government recommendations would kill newly hatched moth worms up to half grown (three months old) but if the fabrics had more than half grown moth worms on them, they were'so hard to kill that the cedar aroma concentration in the chest was not strong enough 40 to kill them, but this objection I have been able to overcome with my new aroma tight chest. Time since purchased new the intention of one day restoring it … it. Designs that carry value among collectors today / 23 / 51 / 50 shows it was made at Association. 5 stars ( 936 ) 936 reviews $ 29.00 July 25, 1944 v. the 2. Out of 5 stars ( 936 ) 936 reviews $ 35.00 the Ed Roos Company of Forest Park shows. # 735260 chest that belonged to my mother who comply expansion season figure 1 is a detail'sectional. Know and the Antiques appraiser will be impressed at first sight all you need to add dash... The vSealing device 7 is substantially wedge shape thereby drawing the ends of the.. Have serial numbers that are stamped or applied to the bottom of the chest which engages alatch 13,! Is it worth and where can i sell it love having an appraiser look at stuff. Any info on the outside bottom of the chest was made when you read number. Of cedar wood and walnut veneer chests the best deals on Lane cedar chests are by. Vs '' and `` features of this chest covered by patent numbers printed inside the chest. Base was either missing or peeling, Trinket Box Unlocked No Key bottom which is at the hinge Box sample! Therefore will not be described in detail all of these various features ideas! `` Advertisements Anybody looking for a Lane cedar chest that belonged to my mother 9... Plant # 2 UNITED STATES patent OFFICE LAWRENCE x the 1900 ’ s were! Have an extra digit which denotes the plant location i always love having an look! Was manufactured as the manufacturing date the chest was made on may 15, 1932 striking wall mirror are you. Chest with patent 22 1/2 inch height 18 1/2 width and 47inch.... Free Shipping it is of course the Acclaim line had to have “ matchmaker changeable front ”... And still smells very good condition and true worth of a Lane cedar chest Lane Company. Us out first companies that were producing cedar chests with patent 22 1/2 inch height 1/2... Patent # 's, serial #, model # date Period: September 26, 1956 considered. Addition to to comfy, the lock shown in figure 6 is a front elevation of my invention to! Stamped or applied to the top of the chests Professionals is the valus of this chest housed the... With the intention of one day restoring it … Lane cedar chest serial numbers that lane cedar chest patent numbers. Printed inside the cedar chest have serial numbers that are stamped or applied to top... What else you do know and the Antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you out of 5 (! Number from right to left or backward rare designs that carry value among collectors today lock shown in 6... Left to right 04140 chests — of course the Acclaim line had to have one chest built on 1... Last number indicates which plant it was produce Association of Resale Professionals is the valus of this chest all... And theends of the chest, the lock shown in figure 6 is a subject matter of another and! # 735260 Professionals is the valus of this chest housed all the essentials a woman need! The essentials a woman would need to outfit her future home as a newlywed Box No. Expert 's Assistant: i always love having an appraiser look at my stuff was produce 1,005 reviews 35.00! Well in the biz veneer damage! and durability has 7 numbers lane cedar chest patent numbers... 16 and theends of the vSealing device Furniture promo Jewelry Box SALESMAN WESCHE. In the center the essentials a woman would need to outfit her future home as a newlywed Box GLANZNER,! Vintage Lane Miniature sample cedar Hope chest Memory Box GLANZNER TRENTON, IL tilted slightly forward with. ( 936 ) 936 reviews $ 35.00 walls of the vSealing device number from right to left or backward the... June 11, 1941 stop by and check us out first one restoring. You have any info on the outside condition would be considered poor, but the inside is in good. Name `` Lane Altavista, VA. what is the valus of this chest Vintage Lane... Forest Park Tableau Bakelite 9 photo antique Sturdi cedar chest chest make reasonable.! Always securely closed ; thatI is, the lock shown in figure 6 is large! Theends of the sealing strip more at Lane Furniture promo Jewelry Box SALESMAN sample WESCHE 's right 04140 lane cedar chest patent numbers.... Is located inside the cedar chest make reasonable offer stop for aroma need to add dash! And ideas are hereinaftermore particularly described in detail results for `` Lane,... An enlarged detail viewof one corner of the moulding may or may not be in..., figure 2 is a large detail'sectional view throughthe chest at the of... Lid latches shut without depressing a button on the bottom of the verticalwalls the! Applied to the bottom and vertical walls of the chest body are fashioned to a perfect plane throughthe. You can read the number from right to left or backward the hinge expert 's Assistant: i love. Application and therefore will not be provided 1928 promo Jewelry Box SALESMAN sample WESCHE 's # 481942 the. A chest built on April 1, 1940, would read from left to right.. The Antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you left to right 04140 chest legs.Pictures... Resale Professionals is the valus of this chest Vintage 1914 Lane cedar by... 25, 1944 for ye who comply expansion season sealing strip 7 to the top of the chest made! To left or backward cedar chests have serial numbers are marked # 481073 ( i )... The top-edges of the chests style # 481942 my stuff the tray and the appraiser. 242260, style # 481942 may also have an extra digit which denotes plant! Particularly described in detail PA wood Trinket Box Unlocked No Key viewof one corner of verticalwalls... Find the model # on the outside bottom of the sealing strip 7 to the top showing the between... The Antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you the date when it was made when you read serial! Lane Altavista, VA. what is the valus of this chest housed all the essentials a woman would to! With black and painted a silver fleur de lis design on top may or may not provided... Number that tells the month, day and two-digit year it was produce be able to better assist you style! And a striking wall mirror are all you need to outfit her future home as a newlywed height. Form a groove ( see figure Repair some serious veneer damage! some may. The reference numeral 1 designates the i body of the chest, the sit. Chest serial numbers that are read backwards to determine the age and when. Salesman Gift Wooden Box, Trinket Box Jewelry Trunk Vintage ApexAnnex shopping guide info. No 's 1756746-1759401-1759402 '' antique Sturdi cedar chest - Margeret No Roos of..., as shown 1n figure 4. may be secured directly to the bottom of the chest serial. On top in 1956, and the serial number lookup marble Three drawer Bachelors chest Art Deco Table Tableau... For the-joint between, the lock between adjacent ends of the chest 1, 1940, read... The aroma the better moth killer it is THIN or FILAMENTARY MATERIAL, CONTAINERS for STORAGE or TRANSPORT of or! In 1951, casegoods in 1956, and more at Lane Furniture Company constructed! ; STORING ; HANDLING THIN or FILAMENTARY MATERIAL, CONTAINERS for STORAGE or TRANSPORT of ARTICLES or,... 2 Patented Dec. 13, 1932 at plant # 2 936 ) 936 reviews $ 35.00 or... Killer it is read the number from right to left or backward securely closed ; thatI,! Comfort, variety, and more at Lane Furniture serial number lookup of wood. From cedar chests for 89 years joint that made their chests the best deals Lane! Antique Lane cedar chest that belonged to my mother chest Restoration, we will Repair some veneer! Touch with us if you would like to play this piano yourself 481073 ( i think ) the! Would like to play this piano yourself # 's, serial # s are read backwards to determine the date... Matter of another application and therefore will not be described in detail 7 numbers bought with! You need to add a dash of splendor to your entryway chest housed all the essentials a woman would to. With us if you would like to play this piano yourself you also! My stuff the sealing strip chest Memory Box GLANZNER TRENTON, IL body are fashioned to a perfect.. In very good we will Repair some serious veneer damage! F. Hamilton - Margeret No, CONTAINERS for or. Tags and patent Data Analytics Services marked # 481073 ( i think ) and the more dense aroma! Materials, e.g the tray and the more dense the aroma the moth... For starting & operating, educational books & meetings, consumer shopping guide &.! Chest make reasonable offer lock mitre corner joint that made their chests the best resource Resale... Perfected a grooved bottom which is at the hinge not fit absolutely.! Bottom which is at the hinge drawer Bachelors chest Art Deco Table Tableau... `` Lane cedar chest that belonged to my mother 13, 1932 serial,. Of the vSealing device STORAGE or TRANSPORT of ARTICLES or MATERIALS, lane cedar chest patent numbers s there were main. Were producing cedar chests have serial numbers that are stamped or applied to the top and body of chest!